2 kiwis, peeled and thinly sliced (1/8”) across center in disks, measuring 1” in diameter
1-.67 ounce tube of black cake decorating gel writer
1-.67 ounce tube of red cake decorating gel writer
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 cups frozen pineapple
1 cup almond milk
1 1/2 cups ice
Prepare 8 eyeballs, 2 for each serving, by squeezing a small circle of black gel onto center of kiwi to form iris. Drizzle red gel around iris to form the blood shot in eyes; set aside.
Place the Top Blades in the Ninja® Ultima™ Pitcher. Add coconut milk, yogurt, pineapple, almond milk and ice to the Pitcher.
PULSE 3 times. Select Speed 8 and flip the switch to START. Blend for 45 seconds or until smooth.*
Pour smoothie into 4 individual wide mouth glasses. With a flat spatula or wide knife, place 2 eyeballs in each glass. Serve immediately.
Customize Your Drink
Our recipes are awesome, but maybe you’d like to customize a drink that’s all your own! Don’t be afraid to experiment. Check out our suggestions for creating your own signature super juice or smoothie! (All recommendations based on a 12-ounce beverage.)
Try adding one of these ingredients for a creamier drink and to boost the nutrition profile as well:
1/4 ripe banana
2 tablespoons avocado
If you think avocados are only for guacamole, think again!
Ideal for greens drinks, avocado adds good-for-you monounsaturated fat with only 50 calories for 2 tablespoons.
Florida avocados (the larger, smooth skinned ones) have slightly fewer calories and fat compared to the smaller California varieties.
1/4 tablespoon chia seeds
In white and black varieties, chia seeds are a nutrient powerhouse. Rich in protein, these tiny seeds deliver potassium, magnesium, calcium, and manganese.
Chia seeds are also one of the best plant sources of omega-3 fats and can contribute to your daily fiber needs in a big way. Their ability to absorb liquid is what thickens the drink, but don’t use more than the recommended amount -- your drink will turn into a gel!
Add chia seeds in with other ingredients before blending, or make a chia gel that you can keep on hand in the fridge and use as needed.
How to Make a Chia Gel
Combine 4 tablespoons chia seeds with 2 cups water or other liquid, such as coconut water. Voila – after 10-15 minutes you’ll have a gel! Use a tablespoon or two of gel to thicken drinks to your desired consistency. Cover and refrigerate for up to one week.
Make it Thinner
The thickness of a blended drink will depend on a few factors, such as whether or not ice is used, and whether the fruit is fresh or frozen. If your smoothie isn’t sip-able, you can add one of these healthful ingredients to thin it down just a bit.
2 tablespoons green tea or chamomile tea
2 tablespoons of coconut water
Add a small amount of a high-moisture food, such as celery, lettuce, cucumber, lemon or lime
Add some water---important to re-hydrate!
Unsweetened almond milk to add richness---great with tropical fruits!
Make it Sweeter
Our recipes have been designed to rely on fruits and other ingredients that provide as little natural sugar as possible. Until your taste buds get accustomed to drinks that are less sweet (and it will happen over time), if needed, add one of these ingredients to hit the sweet spot:
- Sourced from the root of the agave or yucca plant, has a high fructose content
- Because agave is processed through the liver it has no impact on blood sugar, can impact triglyceride levels
Dates, Dried Figs & Raisins
1/2 date, 1/2 fig, 20 Raisins
- Dried fruits provide very concentrated, natural sweetness, only need to use a small amount!
- Distinct, rich taste
- Opt for raw, organic honey
- A subtropical fruit available in powder form found at most health food stores that offers a fragrant taste along with sweetness
- Can be used as an emulsifier to combine vegetables and fruits with fats in blended drinks
- Obtained from the sap of the maple tree
- Concentrated sweetness, only need to use a small amount
3/8 tsp or 1/2 packet
- An herb available in powdered or liquid form with zero calories
- Different brands are made from different parts of the plant, which may taste a bit different
- Sourced from a South American tuber and available in syrup or powder at health food stores
- Does not spike blood sugar and offers half the calories of table sugar
*If your Ultima™ has preset speeds, follow the first step and then do the following: PULSE 3 times. Set to HIGH and flip the switch to START. Blend for 45 seconds or until smooth.