English Pub Cod with Fresh Tartar Sauce
2 cups all-purpose flour,
12 ounces cold beer (ale),
1 teaspoon kosher salt,
1 1/2 pounds haddock or cod fillets, 1” thick, pin bones removed,
Freshly ground black pepper,
1/2 cup mayonnaise,
2 tablespoons dill pickles, finely chopped,
1 tablespoon white wine or apple cider vinegar,
1 tablespoon capers,
1 teaspoon grainy mustard,
Pinch freshly ground black pepper,
Kosher salt to taste
- Place tartar sauce ingredients in a bowl or a food processor and mix until ingredients are well combined. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Preheat fryer to 375°F and place fryer basket in oil.
- Sift 1 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt into a bowl, then whisk in beer gently until just combined. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Pat fish dry. Sprinkle fish on both sides with salt and pepper, then dust lightly in remaining 1/2 cup flour. Dip fish into the beer batter, allowing excess to drip off.
- Slowly lower half of the fish into the oil, and release after a few seconds or when a crust has formed. Fry fish until deep golden, about 4 to 5 minutes. Set on a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with remaining fish. Serve with tartar sauce.