Sausage & Pepper Calzones
Viewing recipe forNinja® Foodi™ 6.5-qt. | The Pressure Cooker that Crisps™ | Air Fryer Model #: OP305CO
Not your Ninja®?Find this recipe for your specific model.
- 1 pound store-bought pizza dough, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced, stems and seeds removed
- 1 small onion, peeled, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large uncooked sweet Italian sausage (6 ounces), removed from casing
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) mozzarella cheese, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
Foodi™ Quick Start GuideDownload
- Cut pizza dough in half and let sit covered until needed.
- Select SEAR/SAUTÉ and set temperature to MD:HI. Select START/STOP to begin. Place 1 tablespoon oil in pot and heat until shimmering, about 3 minutes.
- Add pepper, onion, and salt to pot and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add sausage, and cook until no longer pink, breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Select START/STOP to turn off SEAR/SAUTÉ, and let mixture cool slightly.
- Roll each piece of dough into a 9-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Spread 1/4 cup pizza sauce on one half of each circle, then spread half the sausage mixture over sauce, and top each with half of cheese cubes. Fold dough over filling and pinch to seal tightly. Using a knife, cut 2 small slits on top of each calzone to release steam.
- Preheat the unit by selecting BAKE/ROAST, setting the temperature to 375°F, and setting the time to 3 minutes. Select START/STOP to begin.
- Meanwhile, cut a piece of parchment paper to 12 x 17 inches and fold it in half to 12 x 8 1/2 inches. Place folded parchment on the reversible rack, making sure rack is in the lower position. Transfer calzones to rack with straight edges facing each other (they can be touching).
- After 3 minutes, lower rack into pot and brush tops of calzones with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Close crisping lid. Select BAKE/ROAST, set temperature to 375°F, and set time to 20 minutes. Select START/STOP to begin.
- After 10 minutes, open lid and carefully remove rack from pot. Gently pull parchment paper to slide it and the calzones off the rack. Unfold parchment under calzones and flip them onto the other half of the parchment so the uncooked sides face up. Use parchment as a sling to transfer calzones back onto rack, return rack to pot, and close lid to resume cooking.
- Cooking is complete when calzones are nicely browned on their second sides. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
A tip from the Ninja® Kitchen Team
This recipe employs a parchment paper sling to flip the calzones so both sides brown evenly. It’s important to start with a large sheet folded in half so you can unfold it and easily flip the calzones. If you don’t have parchment paper, you can make a similar sling out of aluminum foil, but be careful that it doesn’t tear when moving the calzones.