Moroccan Apple Pie
1/2 cup currants
2 tsp. lemon zest
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 vanilla bean, split
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. butter
- On lightly floured work surface, roll one-half of pie dough into an 11-inch circle. Arrange crust in 9-inch glass pie pan and trim excess edges with knife.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. In a large bowl toss apples and sultanas with lemon zest and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Place the dough attachment in the Bowl. Blend the vanilla bean scraping, cinnamon, cardamom, brown sugar and flour on 1, mixing well to combine. Add butter and blend again on 1 until crumbly. Add the mixture to the apple slices and toss well to combine.
- Mound apple mixture into pie pan. Roll out remaining pie dough into an 11-inch circle and arrange on top of apples. Crimp edges to seal and cut slits to vent steam.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until apples are tender and crust is golden. Let set for 10 minutes before serving.