Challah French Toast Casserole
2 tbsp. sugar, divided
1 cup water, warmed to 110-115 °F
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten (for wash)
1 tsp. water (for wash)
1 tsp. sesame or poppy seeds
- Combine yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/3 cup water in a small bowl and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough attachment in the Bowl and add the oil, egg, remaining sugar and water in the Bowl and blend on 1 for 5 seconds. When yeast is foamy, add it to the egg mixture and blend on 1 for a few seconds.
- Add the flour and salt and blend on 1 to combine. When dough ball is formed, blend for 30 seconds. Transfer to a lightly-oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch dough down and divide into 3 equal parts and roll each into a long log. Connect the pieces at one end and braid into a loaf, pinching the end to seal. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and cover. Let loaf rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Whisk together 1 egg and 1 teaspoon water. Brush loaf with egg wash and sprinkle with seeds. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cool completely before cutting.