Light and Fresh Tofu Pad Thai
8 ounces extra firm tofu, cut into 1” cubes,
1/2 cup flour,
1 teaspoon kosher salt,
2 tablespoons fish sauce,
2 tablespoons sugar,
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar,
4 ounces rice stick noodles,
1 to 2 tablespoons peanut oil,
1 cup chopped scallions, divided,
2 teaspoons minced garlic,
2 whole eggs, beaten,
3 ounces bean sprouts, divided,
1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts, chopped, divided
1 lime, cut into wedgess
- Cover rice sticks with hot water and let soften for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent clumping.
- Preheat fryer to 350°F.
- Heat peanut oil in a skillet over medium heat and add scallions and garlic. Sauté for about 2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove scallions and garlic and place in a large bowl.
- Add eggs to skillet and scramble, using a spoon to break up the eggs.
- Add scrambled eggs to scallions and garlic.
- Toss tofu in flour and salt, and immediately place in a single layer in the basket and fry for about 4 minutes or until light golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, sugar, and rice wine vinegar.
- Drain noodles, and combine with bean sprouts and sauce in a bowl. Gently stir in tofu, and top with peanuts and a wedge of lime.